Saturday, June 4, 2011

Beautiful Day!

Sorry, no pics for now. I forgot the camera at school again.  I'll pick it up tonight so I can show you compost pictures.

Speaking of compost, I have a good amount of it!  I sifted the "done" pile this morning.  Nice fluffy dirt.  I do the cold composting method.  Meaning I pile it, turn it once in a great while.  Try to chip/shred it before it gets piled.

I Love Worms!  If you are cold composting and are not finding lots of worms, you need to add food scraps, good dirt, dried tree leaves, and leafy greens.  If your debri is composting and you have no worms, you probably got an accidental hot compost.  It makes me really happy when I go to plant something anywhere in my yard and always find worms.  A sign of healthy soil.  

I gave up tilling about 3 years ago.  Now I just keep piling on the compost, and turn the soil with a garden fork if I feel like it.  When I plant, I can usually go down a good 7" with little effort.

Put some seeds out too.  Marjoram and Sean Conway Sunflowers.

Last night we made a ring for the Water Hyacinth out of foam pipe insulation and a PVC piece to connect the ends into a circle.  It moves around the pond in a really nice circle.  I'm going to buy small solar lights that float to put in the ring and around the pond.  That will be a good subject for a long exposure shot.

Laze around this afternoon, maybe go shopping, get mail.  This evening is a retirement party for some very special people.  It should be seriously fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment