Saturday, June 23, 2012

She's HOME!

I was very nervous about this part.  It was Noon Pacific time when we arrived.  It's hot out, so I decided to use that to my advantage.


Introductions I kid you not, took an hour.  I was expecting more like a few weeks.  Penny thinks that this is her dog.  As of now, they are both sacked out in front of me.


Penny started barking when I pulled into the driveway, which is usual.  So I put her in the house and put Sofie in the dog yard.  Unloaded the car.  Put up baby gates, then just left the dog exit open so Sofie could come in and out with no contact with Penny.


Eventually, Penny noticed there was another dog.  Took her about 5 minutes.  Then they looked and sniffed through the baby gate for a little bit.  Did the "Look at the New Dog" treats.  Penny started whining and play bowing like mad.  I continued to unload and just let them look at each other.


Then I decided to go out and water.  Penny in the human yard, Sofie in the dog yard.  Sofie and Penny proceeded to whine and play bow for another 15 minutes.  Sofie also checked out the bunnies, the garage, and sniffed all over.


When they were both relaxed, I stood over by the dog yard and did the treat thing with both of them for awhile.  After a time they started ignoring each other, so I opened the dog yard gate and just stood there.  Penny went and sniffed, Sofie was completely willing to let her be boss, and there was not an once of wariness  in either of them.  At that moment, they started tearing around the grass chasing each other, then ignoring each other off and on.  Penny would come and play a little, then do her rounds, then come back again.  Sofie started following her around to check the place out.  Penny and her drooled all over each other.  Literally.


Since it was hot, we came inside, Penny and I showed her around.  You are not going to believe this - Sofie LOVES Kongs.  Penny hates Kongs.  I showed a stuffed duck to Sofie and she looked at me like I was crazy.  So they aren't even interested in each other's toys.  Holy Dog Gods, did I luck out or what.  I cannot keep the Kong on the floor though, Sofie got a little protective of it when Penny walked by it.  So up it goes unless she's actively chewing under supervision.


I am armed with a water bottle just in case.  They both dislike the water bottle.  Good. They both sat for treats together.  Penny will always be treated first, fed first, and have sofa privileges.  Sofie will have to be a good girl for a long time to earn that.  Oh, and Sofie also answers to "Butthead."


Pumpkin came half way down the stairs, took one look at the dog, looked at me, and Me-owed like "What the FRICK is that?"  Went outside without an introduction at this point.  I know the cat is going to take a lot longer.


Sofie is konked out, Penny is in Flat Dog mode on the hard wood floor, starting to snooze.  Happy, Tired Dogs.


Even though it went well, do not worry MSP people.  I will have "Constant Vigilance!" for quite some time to avoid possible problems until we are all settled into routine.


Now I need to get Sofie to understand that this weird chair of mine must come down at some point, so she needs to lay a little to the right.  Right now her head is right under the recliner part.

1 comment:

  1. Quote: Oh, and Sofie also answers to "Butthead."

    Uhm... doesn't EVERYBOdY there answer to that?

    ReplyDelete